Mar 8, 2008

She said, "YES!"



On March 18th, 1995, my boyfriend proposed to me. I'm happy to announce to you that I said, "yes!" Joel took me out to a little restaurant called, "Davenports." It's a maple sugar farm. After breakfast, we took a walk. It was a beautiful, sunny day, and it was on a little back country road that my dear husband got down on one knee, and asked me to be his wife. We had not been back to that spot since the day he proposed, almost 13 years ago...until today! Since March is the official maple sugar month, we thought we'd take a field trip to Davenports. It's interesting to note that a few things have changed. First of all, it was definitely not a sunny, beautiful day as it was the day he proposed. Secondly, the pancakes were definitely not as large as we remembered...or maybe it wasn't the pancakes that have changed in size. :o/ And lastly, we sure didn't have a surburban full of five kids watching us when we last stood at this spot!





The kids heard our engagment story all the way there and quite frankly didn't care. They were hungry and wanted pancakes. After we snapped some pictures at our engagment spot, we decided to take a little drive on this lovely, rainy day.

We stopped to take a look at the falls.




Much more exciting was when we found this cute, little candy store. It was like being on "Willy Wonka" in the candy man's store. Mikey, my little sweet-tooth, could hardly contain himself!








"Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaase, Mom?"

(No, I did not let them buy the gummy rats. I'm dry heaving a little bit just looking at that picture.)

We also stopped at some wacky "Indian trading post" store. The boys were in "Indian arrow head" heaven. As I was checking out the stylin moccasins, I heard someone sneak up behind me and go, "Rarr!" I turned around to see this:



Not wanting to be outdone by Mikey, I went and found my own hat:


-Interestingly enough, we smelled a skunk on the way home, and the kids blamed me for trying on that hat.

It was a fun day, but we had to get home. Annie was getting tired....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a FUN day! Who would have thought that you'd return to your special spot 5 children later? LOL about the kids not caring about your romantic engagement story. Wasn't Mikey swooning in the back of the car with little hearts all around his head and his eyes all 'a twinkle?' ;)

I know exactly where you were in that dorkey little indian store...I cannot believe they actually stay open EVEN IN THE WINTER. Just goes to show-

Ya' sell enuf gummy rats, and skunks hats ....

Anonymous said...

Love love loved the pictures! Awww, Davenports is lookin a little rough, though. At least the candy store was a good find.

Trish said...

Wow! Looks like you guys had a fantastic day! I had forgotten you were engaged there. Adorable picture of you and Joel! Who took it? Matty?

And....interestingly enough...I smelled skunk that day, too. Didn't know it was YOUR fault! :)