Aug 11, 2008

Just thinking about my report card

When I was growing up, report card day was either a day I loved or dreaded, depending of course on how hard I worked for that semester. One time, when I was in first grade, I even went so far as to sign my mom's signature because I was so ashamed of what I had done. Ok, I can hear all the laughter right now. If there's one thing I learned from that situation, it's that I had to practice mom's signature a little better. :o)

This past Saturday, I bumped into a young man who I use to babysit. He is now a Sophomore in college. I introduced myself to him as his "old babysitter." (little did he know that the "old" part that I was referring to did not necessarily mean "in the past" kind of old, but just plain "old." ) His mom was standing nearby. I said, "When did he grow up?" She smiled and said, "I know. It went by so fast. I'm just as shocked as you are." I walked away from our conversation thinking about our son. Matthew is now 10. Most children leave the nest at 18. That gives me 8 years left.


Jeremiah 29:11-13 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

-Oh Lord please! may our son always seek you with all his heart!

As a parent, your job is never done, of course, but I wonder if we are at the half way point with the "letting go" phase. I wonder if we have given him the tools of God's word to live a life for Him. I wonder what he'll be someday. I wonder what he will grow up telling his own children about his mother. How will he describe me as a mom? Then, I think about those report card days. What if God was to give me a grade today? There's no forging anything with God. He knows exactly who I am because He is my Creator. In my heart, I know the areas where I fail Him. I also know that I am only made of flesh, and I need the Lord to guide me every moment of the day. Spending time with God doesn't just mean "going to church on Sundays." It's a continual on-going relationship. It involves reading his word, and asking Him to teach me, and talking to Him through prayer. My job as a mom should be done mostly on my knees. I know I need to pray more for these precious ones. I need to pray more for myself...that I will be the kind of mom that they can see Christ in. If I forget about God and begin doing my job on my own, I have failed as a parent. If I neglect prayer, my mothering is not being done for my Lord's glory, and I can never be the kind of mom that God will smile upon. I'd like to get a good grade, because this job is eternal. So, I beg God to keep me on my knees.


If you as a mom are not praying for your children, who is?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I give you an A+. Keep up the good work!

Becky said...

Awkward...thanks, man.