Feb 18, 2009

Deer and Me



I've been thinking a lot about this verse lately. Psalm 42:1, "As the deer pants for the water brooks, so my soul pants for you, O God." Maybe it's all the deer we've been seeing up here! I haven't studied deer in any way, (only out my window), but what I have noticed is there is an exact path that goes from the woods out into the apple orchard.


These deer are searching for nourishment. Their lives are dependent on it. This verse reminds me that my life is dependent on God. I would not exist if it were not for Him. I would have no reason to exist if it were not for Him. I want to know Him more each day. I want to make a well trodden path with my own feet for our children to follow. Right now, it's a cold, wintery season, and those deer are on a serious search for food. We all go through cold, hard times. Every day, we hear updated reports on our country's economic crisis. People are losing their jobs. People are losing their homes. People are losing hope. These are cold, hard times. Go to God's Word, take in the nourishment.

Psalm 70:5
"But I am afflicted and needy; hasten to me, O God! You are my help and my deliverer; O Lord, do not delay."

Psalm 71:5
"For you are my hope; O Lord God, you are my confidence from my youth."



Psalm 46:1-4
"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change and though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea; Though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains quake at its swelling pride. There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy dwelling places of the Most High."

God is NOT a "temporary retreat; He is our ETERNAL REFUGE." -I love that!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A place of safety we can run to. How reassuring and comforting.
Love you honey, thanks for the reminder. We have such security in Christ.

The pictures you took are beautiful. Will you send the header to me? Papa would love it!

Anonymous said...

So true, Beck. It's so good to know He is always there for us--no matter if we are living right or not--he always forgives and loves us no matter what. What a comfort.

Incredible deer lately! Can't believe how many are up there. Mom--did you get herds of deer like that?? I don't remember ever seeing so many before!

DeAnna said...

Oh my goodness that top picture with the verse is gorgeous!! I love it! I love that verse as well as the song from that.

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister. You said it well.

Anonymous said...

It is so cool to have them in our yard!