Sep 24, 2006

Happily Ever After



Wednesday, September 20th was my Papa and Grandma's 59th wedding anniversary! I love looking at their wedding picture. (I wish I had taken a picture of it to post here.) The year was 1947. I think it would be so neat to grow up in that generation. My grandmother's dress was beautiful. The only way I know how to describe it is romantic. Beyond her beautiful dress, you are drawn to their sweet smiles and eyes that sparkle for each other. It is precious to see that 59 years later, their smiles are sweeter and their eyes even more sparkly! They love each other dearly and it is obvious with the way that they care for one another. When I look at them, I look forward to growing old with my honey.



Ahhh, youth. Remember the carefree days of rolling down hills and running back up for another round? I can't tell you how many times they rolled down this hill. And they did it with the same excitement and giggles on the 10th time as they did the first. If I dared to attempt this, I would either
A.) have tossed up all my celebration cake -a major disappointment! OR
B.) still be laying at the bottom of that hill.


Emma wanted to pick flowers for Great Grandma. The problem was that she decided to pick one right out of Great Papa's garden that he spends hours tending to! I said, "EMMA! quick throw down that flower!!!!" Now, just lean over and smile.


We had a special time at Papa and Grandma's. Oh, I didn't tell you who was all there. It was Aunty Mary, Mom, all of us and Grandma's brother, Uncle Lou. (who wanted me to give you a warm hello, Kristine!) It was a wonderful day! Wish you all could have been there...well not really or we would have had to share the lemon, raspberry cake.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How pleased my Mama and Dad will be when I bring my computer over and show them this blog! First, I'll have to explain "Blog".... then they will be delighted!

Heritage is so important, isn't it? As I look at these pictures, I am filled with such gratitude to God for having parents that stuck together for 59 years. To think that God has allowed them all these years makes me so happy. Happier still is the fact that they know the Lord, and will be together for eternity.

As great-grandma looked out the window and watched the kids she smiled and said, "Look at that brat Emma picking Papa's flowers!" LOL Actually, she said "Aren't they beautiful children! I just love seeing them here." Visiting is so important since they can no longer go far from home.

Thank you Becky. It was no small task taking 5 little ones to a special celebration. The day was made perfect by your presence.

Kris said...

Awwwww! I can not tell you how happy I was to see these pictures. Thank you so much for posting them.
I have such wonderful memories of rolling down that very hill. Man! we weren't a very creative bunch, were we? ;) I also remember Gramma and Papa's house having such COOL things to explore--all of Papa's hunting things, and what was that hole in the backyard all about anyway? I never understood what it was, but I sure loved the story of when Papa found a skunk in there! Loved that huge willow tree in the backyard, too.
I love their wedding picture, too, but my favorite picture is that one Papa has on his bureau of Gramma. I'm not sure when it was taken. Mama, do you know? You know the one that I mean--where Gramma looks like a model?
Anyway, I think they look just as handsome and gorgeous as ever. We are so lucky to have such wonderful grandparents.

Kris said...

Lemon raspberry cake? From MIrlings? Aw, man, I love that stuff more than life itself.

Becky said...

Yes, mam! It was indeed the infamous cake that you love more than life itself!

Mamma, I loved being there! It was surely my pleasure to join in the celebration. And yes, I agree with you that the happiest thing of all is that they know and love God. Where is that poem that Gramma made up about Heaven? I love that. I would like to get that and post it here.

Anonymous said...

That photo was my mother's engagement picture. It is beautiful, Kristy!

Becky I'll look around for that poem. I think it's in one of my bibles.
Did you tell KK that we UPS-ed her the last piece of raspberry lemon cream cake? Doe! I forgot you ate that "small" corner piece yourself at the last minute, right???

Becky said...

THAT'S IT! NO MORE MR NICE GUY!

Kris said...

Huh? Huh? Huh?

Becky said...

That message was to Mamma for making fun of me for the "the small corner piece".