May 29, 2009

Memorial Day 2009

Today, I am saying thank you to all those who fought and are fighting for our country. It's not Memorial Day, but I don't want to just be thankful on that day. It was so sweet when Joel went out on Memorial Day to put the flag up with Annie by his side. It was one of the moments where I stood back, and just stared at that flag, flapping in the wind...feeling so thankful and so proud of our country.
This daddy can stand here next to his little girl, because someone else's daddy sacrificed his time with his little girl. We are so blessed to have freedom. It's not something I wake up and think about every day, but because I enjoy the benefits every day,it should be. I don't ever want to be so consumed with Memorial Day being a day off from work/a day off from school or the national "hot dog and hamburger day" that I forget what this day is all about. I want our children to know that they can have a special day with their daddy, only because someone else had to sacrifice their "daddy time."



"You make me happy, Daddy!"



"You love me, don't you?"



"I love you, too."

2 comments:

Mama said...

So true, Becky! We need to honor our vets and enjoy the freedoms we have. That last pic of Annie hugging her Daddy is precious !

Becky said...

I love that picture, too!