May 9, 2009

Warning! Severe Thunderstorm




Severe thunderstorms = severely scared children!

Mikey walked into my room and said in a trembling, weak voice, "Mommy ....I'm scared." As much as I wanted to make chocolate chip cookies, cuddle him and take his fears away, I knew my help would only take him so far. God will be with him long after I'm gone, and I want Mikey to learn to place his fears in God's hands. I reminded our precious boy of Psalm 56:3, "What time I am afraid, I will......" He finished the verse, "trust in Thee." I explained to him that "trusting" is easy on the "sunshiney days." It's usually during the stormy times that trusting is the hardest. The thunderstorm had come in rather quickly now. To be honest, I was pretty nervous myself. The thunder was loud and with each crack of lightning, there was an even louder boom of thunder. It was right above us. As I looked into the blue eyes of the little boy that God gave me, I saw fear. "Let's pray." So, right in the midst of the thunder crashing over our house, we prayed. Mikey said, "Dear Heavenly Father, I'm afraid. Can you make the storm go away?" When we finished, Mikey looked up at me. The storm was still here, but I could see comfort in those same eyes. He smiled, and we hugged. We walked into the kitchen to watch the storm with the others. Within 3 minutes, this is what happened...



Why am I even surprised?

God wasn't done yet. After I snapped that last shot, I turned around and gasped!!

This is what I saw.













He gives us above and beyond what we could ever ask or think.





I ran outside. I was soaking wet, and snapping pictures, saying, "Thank you, Lord! Thank you for showing yourself to our little boy!"



Trust Him, my little man!



PS We still made the chocolate chip cookies and cuddled...only it wasn't me that took away his fear, and gave him a rainbow, instead. :o)

5 comments:

Trish said...

INCREDIBLE RAINBOW!!! That was a serious storm--I was thinking of you guys up on the mountain. God is good, isn't he?!! I loved the pictures!

Krissy said...

I love this. Thanks for sharing your miracle. I want to have that kind of faith in God, Mikey.

Krissy said...

And yes, I bawled my way through that post.

good_to_be_home said...

I feel like I've been given a gift every time I see a rainbow.
This story was SO sweet, thank you for sharing.
Back in my archives, I have a picture of my kids and a rainbow, I would love to show it to you, I'll have to figure out what the date was and give you the link later.
((HUGS))

Becky said...

I'd love to see it.